Richard Rohr sat down with Cassidy Hall in Chicago last month, at the conference “‘Disappear from View’? Thomas Merton, Fifty Years Later and Beyond” which commemorated the fiftieth anniversary of Merton’s death.
If I had to choose between music and silence, I’d always choose silence. — Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM
In this informal chat, Fr. Richard and Cassidy reflect on why Merton remains so important a half century after his passing, along with insights into Fr. Richard’s sense of hope in our time (spoiler alert: he’s impressed with young people today), his thoughts on how Christianity in America has (and has not) been faithful to the teachings of Jesus over the past few decades, thoughts about his own work and legacy, and much more!
There’s so much creativity in the way we love people and the way we serve people. — Cassidy Hall
Listeners of this podcast will recall that we first spoke with Fr. Richard Rohr last spring — that conversation was released as Episode 19.
We’re all victims of our own culture. — Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM
This is a field recording (made in the lobby of Fr. Richard’s hotel!) and so there’s plenty of background ambient noise — ironic, we know, for a podcast about silence! But we hope that listeners will appreciate this wonderful moment when Fr. Richard spoke with Cassidy in a truly relaxed and candid way.
Some of the resources and authors we mention in this episode:
- Richard Rohr, Just This
- Richard Rohr, The Universal Christ
- Richare Rohr, What Do We Do About the Bible?
- Thomas Merton, New Seeds of Contemplation
- Meister Eckhart, Selected Writings
- Peter Enns, The Sin of Certainty
- Augustine, The Confessions of Saint Augustine
- Thomas Keating, Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel
- Paul Quenon, In Praise of the Useless Life: A Monk’s Memoir
- Bono (of U2), Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas
- Henri Nouwen, Reaching Out
Some of Richard Rohr’s other books include:
- Richard Rohr, Essential Teachings on Love
- Richard Rohr with Mike Morrell, The Divine Dance: The Trinity and Your Transformation
- Richard Rohr, Falling Upward
- Richard Rohr, The Naked Now: Learning to See as the Mystics See
- Richard Rohr, Immortal Diamond
- Richard Rohr, Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer
- Richard Rohr, Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality
- Richard Rohr, Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps
- Richard Rohr, What the Mystics Know: Seven Pathways to Your Deeper Self
- Richard Rohr, Silent Compassion: Finding God in Contemplation
- Richard Rohr and Andreas Ebert, The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective
Episode 46: Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM in Conversation with Cassidy Hall in Chicago
Hosted by: Cassidy Hall
Guest: Father Richard Rohr, OFM
Date Recorded: December 7, 2018