This episode continues our conversation with blogger/activist Kerry Connelly. As in part one of this interview, we explore one of the most pervasive forms of toxic silence in our culture: the silence embedded in white privilege and systemic racism.
Kerry Connelly is a writer, certified life coach, creator of the no-nonsense blog Jerseygirl, JESUS, and host of the “White on White” podcast, which reimagines white identity apart from the dead end of pseudo-supremacy.
This is part two of a two-part episode. To listen to part one, click here.
Her latest book is Good White Racist? Confronting Your Role in Racial Injustice. Kerry Connelly is currently pursuing a Master of Divinity at Christian Theological Seminary (where she first met Cassidy Hall). She lives in New Jersey with her family.
I have to always be aware, practice awareness of who’s in the room, what’s happening, and what might be my call as a white anti-racist in that particular context, and it’s not always going to be the same, there’s not one answer. — Kerry Connelly
Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza (who has also been a guest on this podcast) praised Good White Racist? by saying, “The work that needs to be done is white-on-white race talk. By that I mean, white folks talking to white folks about the ways white supremacy is internalized and therefore shows up in their social practice. Kerry endeavors to do just this, and I think we all should invest our time in this book!”
I don’t recommend getting involved with Jesus if you don’t want to be radically challenged… I can’t be in relationship with Jesus and then be permitted to go about propping up the status quo. — Kerry Connelly
Some of the resources and authors mentioned in this episode:
- Kerry Connelly, Good White Racist? Confronting Your Role in Racial Injustice
- Therese Taylor-Stinson (ed.), Ain’t Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around — Stories of Contemplation and Justice
- The Buddha, Teachings of the Buddha edited by Jack Kornfield
- The Desert Mothers and Fathers, Early Christian Wisdom Sayings
- Ruby Sales, The Inner Life of Social Change
- Simone Weil, Gravity and Grace
- George Stephanopoulos, All Too Human: A Political Education
- The Matrix
- Kenneth Leech, Soul Friend: Spiritual Direction in the Modern World
- Kenneth Leech, True Prayer: An Invitation to Christian Spirituality
- Kenneth Leech, Experiencing God: Theology as Spirituality
- Jennifer Worth, The Complete Call the Midwife Stories
Find Kerry Connelly at www.kerryconnelly.com.
I wonder what it must have been like, to have been Jesus, and be embodied in the way Jesus was embodied, and then experience that kind of silence in the desert… to be in that place, and to think about silence in that context, is a little mind-blowing. — Kerry Connelly
Episode 102: Silence, Privilege, and Dismantling Racism: A Conversation with Kerry Connelly (Part Two)
Hosted by: Cassidy Hall
With: Kevin Johnson, Carl McColman
Guest: Kerry Connelly
Date Recorded: April 13, 2020
Featured image photo by Cassidy Hall.