Dr. Robert Wicks is professor emeritus of Pastoral Counseling at Loyola University Maryland, a prolific author, and an internationally-known speaker on topics such as spirituality, mindfulness, self-care, and stress management. His many books include Everyday Simplicity: A Practical Guide to Spiritual Growth, Perspective: The Calm Within the Storm, Night Call: Embracing Compassion and Hope in a Troubled World, and his latest, The Tao of Ordinariness: Humility and Simplicity in a Narcissistic Age.
I think that anytime we can get together and speak about something that is so important as silence, it really is worth the effort, isn’t it? — Robert J. Wicks
Note: this is part two of a two-part interview. To listen to part one, click here.
Dr. Wicks received his doctorate in Psychology from Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. According to his website, his “major area of expertise is the prevention of secondary stress which encompasses the pressures encountered in reaching out to others. He integrates sound psychology and basic spiritual truths to set the stage for profound personal transformation. He has cultivated this experience through research and clinical practice with psychotherapists, physicians, nurses, educators, relief workers, lawyers, corporate executives and persons in full-time ministry.”
People say “Well, I can’t seem to sense God.” Well, you’re too busy in your head thinking. If you look at the energy in a city and experience it; if you’re in a quiet place in the forest and you hear the birds that you’ve never heard, you’re hearing the voice of God. The problem is, you’re not listening — you’re hearing, but you’re not listening. — Robert J. Wicks
Dr. Wicks joined the Encountering Silence team on Skype to share his thoughts on the sacred place where spirituality and mental health meet — and the vital place for silence in that nexus.
Some of the resources and authors we mention in these episodes:
- Robert J. Wicks, The Tao of Ordinariness: Humility and Simplicity in a Narcissistic Age
- Robert J. Wicks, After 50: Spiritually Embracing Your Own Wisdom Years
- Robert J. Wicks, Heartstorming: Creating a Place God Can Call Home
- Robert J. Wicks and Robert M. Hamma, A Circle of Friends: Encountering the Caring Voices in Your Life
- Billy Collins, Aimless Love: New and Selected Poems
- Mary Oliver, Devotions: The Selected Poems
- Robert Lax, Poems (1962-1997)
- Thomas Merton, Collected Poems of Thomas Merton
- S. T. Georgiou, The Way of the Dreamcatcher: Spirit Lessons with Robert Lax
- Michael N. McGregor, Pure Act: The Uncommon Life of Robert Lax
- Cassidy Hall (director), Day of a Stranger
- Henri J. M. Nouwen, The Return of the Prodigal Son
- Karl Barth, Encounters with Silence
Episode 88: The Tao of Ordinary Silence: A Conversation with Dr. Robert J. Wicks (Part Two)
Hosted by: Kevin Johnson
With: Cassidy Hall, Carl McColman
Date Recorded: December 9, 2019