Dr. Robert Wicks is professor emeritus of Pastoral Counseling at Loyola University Maryland, a prolific author, and an internationally-known speaker on topics such as spirituality, mindfulness, self-care, and stress management. His many books include Everyday Simplicity: A Practical Guide to Spiritual Growth, Perspective: The Calm Within the Storm, Night Call: Embracing Compassion and Hope in a Troubled World, and his latest, The Tao of Ordinariness: Humility and Simplicity in a Narcissistic Age.
Note: This is part one of a two-part interview. To listen to part two, click here.
Dr. Wicks received his doctorate in Psychology from Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. According to his website, his “major area of expertise is the prevention of secondary stress which encompasses the pressures encountered in reaching out to others. He integrates sound psychology and basic spiritual truths to set the stage for profound personal transformation. He has cultivated this experience through research and clinical practice with psychotherapists, physicians, nurses, educators, relief workers, lawyers, corporate executives and persons in full-time ministry.”
Dr. Wicks joined the Encountering Silence team on Skype to share his thoughts on the sacred place where spirituality and mental health meet — and the vital place for silence in that nexus.
Some of the resources and authors we mention in these episodes:
- Robert J. Wicks, Riding the Dragon: 10 Lessons for Inner Strength in Challenging Times
- Robert J. Wicks, Everyday Simplicity: A Practical Guide to Spiritual Growth
- Robert J. Wicks, Perspective: The Calm Within the Storm
- Robert J. Wicks, Night Call: Embracing Compassion and Hope in a Troubled World
- Robert J. Wicks, The Tao of Ordinariness: Humility and Simplicity in a Narcissistic Age.
- Henri Nouwen, The Spiritual Life
- Thomas Merton, New Seeds of Contemplation
- Dalai Lama, A Profound Mind: Cultivating Wisdom in Everyday Life
- Kathleen Norris, Dakota: A Spiritual Geography
- Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith
Episode 87: The Tao of Ordinary Silence: A Conversation with Dr. Robert J. Wicks (Part One)
Hosted by: Kevin Johnson
With: Cassidy Hall, Carl McColman
Date Recorded: December 9, 2019