Our conversation with musician, songwriter/poet, and Quaker Carrie Newcomer concludes this week. Carrie continues to share with us her insights into the relationship between poetry and lyrics, between music and silence, between creativity and authenticity — and how love can change everything for the better.
Like the first part of this conversation, she also graces us with performance of several of her songs.
Whether it’s coming through a visual art, through music, through poetry, through dance, or some art form in that sense, or the art form of our lives — every time we speak we are putting a certain spirit into the world; every time, every encounter. — Carrie Newcomer
To listen to part one of this interview, click here.
Carrie Newcomer’s CDs include The Point of Arrival, The Beautiful Not Yet and Kindred Spirits. She has been described as a “prairie mystic” by the Boston Globe and one who “asks all the right questions” by Rolling Stone.
She regularly works with Parker J. Palmer, who is collaborating with her on The Growing Edge, a website, podcast, and retreat. Three of Newcomer’s songs are included in Palmer’s most recent book, On the Brink of Everything: Grace, Gravity and Getting Old.
“Every time I walk into a room; every time I encounter someone, or I have a conversation, I can step into that space with that internal sense of silence, and waiting; with that internal sense of I’m stepping into this moment in love and blessing.” — Carrie Newcomer
Some of the resources and authors we mention in this episode:
- Carrie Newcomer, The Point of Arrival
- Carrie Newcomer, The Beautiful Not Yet (CD)
- Carrie Newcomer, The Beautiful Not Yet: Poems, Essays and Lyrics
- Carrie Newcomer, Kindred Spirits
- Carrie Newcomer, Everything is Everywhere
- Carrie Newcomer, A Permeable Life (CD)
- Carrie Newcomer, A Permeable Life: Poems and Essays
- Carrie Newcomer, The Gathering of Spirits
- David Abram, The Spell of the Sensuous
- Parker J. Palmer, On the Brink of Everything: Grace, Gravity and Getting Old
The songs “Writing a Better Story” and “Learning to Sit Without Knowing” are on the album The Point of Arrival.
Episode 65: Silence, Song, Blessing and Waiting: A Conversation with Carrie Newcomer (Part Two)
Hosted by: Cassidy Hall
With: Carl McColman, Kevin Johnson
Guest: Carrie Newcomer
Date Recorded: May 9, 2019